Thursday, May 19, 2005

Hermit Lady's House

A couple blocks away from my house there's a house that has always piqued my curiosity.

To walk by it, you would notice a yard full of a variety of stuff. From plastic gnomes, to wooden dolls, to other animals made from a bunch of different materials and plants that were unruley, grass thats wild and unmowed, and piles of wood scraps and broken semi-jointed fence lines that seemed to start and end with no rhyme or reason.

Upon looking at the house itself, you'd see wooden porch doors with no doorknobs that had some sort of wire apparatus that I can only guess would be a make-shift doorbell? but the wires tied the doors shut so I'm not entirely sure about my idea. The steps leading up to these wooden porch doors were half broken and uneven with no apparent handrail, although it could just very well be covered over by the crazy plant life.

The windows, and I do mean each and every one of them, are covered with fragmented sheets and blankets so that not a spec of light could shine in.

Beyond that all that I have is what my imagination is left conjuring up.

One might think that no one lived in this house, but I know that someone must have because the yard ornaments would change some and at the very least rotate around amongst all the mayhem.

But this morning my husband called me just after he left for work...

"OMG! The Hermit Lady's house is ON FIRE!! and there's a crowd!! go check it out!!"

So now I wonder if it got struck by lightning during the bad storm last night? or if it just caught fire from the furnace or portable heater or stove or oven? or if it was actually condemned and the fire dept is doing a controlled fire and leveling it.

I wonder.

2 comments:

Marianna said...

How sad... I hope the hermit lady is ok.

M~

Anonymous said...

I grew up with a neighbor like that. He made a fence out of wire and breadbags. He also had over a hunderd no trespassing signs on his property. The rumor was he was an old Nazi officer in hiding and that he stashed lots of dollars under his mattress. I don't think it was true, but funny how these things get started.